On completion of this section, you should be able to:
- Explain the implications of dependence on alcohol and tobacco in planning and implementation of treatment and supportive care for people affected by oesophageal cancer.
- Respond effectively to initial reactions and key concerns of people affected by a diagnosis of oesophageal cancer.
- Discuss current treatment approaches for oesophageal cancer.
- Analyse factors that might influence treatment decisions for the person with oesophageal cancer.
- Use evidence-based approaches to facilitate the ability of the person affected by oesophageal cancer to participate in decisions about their treatment and care, according to their preferences.
- Identify common potential and actual needs of people diagnosed with oesophageal cancer.
- Implement supportive care interventions, including referral, to meet the multiple health needs of people affected by oesophageal cancer.