On completion of this section, you should be able to:
- Analyse an SCN's role in facilitating the transition to palliative care for people affected by oesophageal cancer.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills in discussing end of life concerns with people affected by oesophageal cancer.
- Facilitate collaborative decision making between people affected by oesophageal cancer and health care professionals about end of life care.
- Analyse the supportive care needs of people with advanced oesophageal cancer and their family and carers.
- Implement interventions that are consistent with an individual's preferences and abilities to optimise their functional abilities at end of life.
- Identify the signs of impending death and explain such information to family and carers.
- Identify specific risk factors for complicated bereavement in family and carers and demonstrate appropriate support and referral.