On completion of this section, you should be able to:
- Summarise the FIGO staging for epithelial ovarian cancer.
- Describe the different subtypes of ovarian cancer that exist and briefly discuss their epidemiology, management and prognosis.
- Explain why the outcomes for women with ovarian cancer are better when their care is provided by a gynaecological oncologist who functions as part of a multidisciplinary team (MDT).
- Use evidence based approaches to facilitate the person affected by ovarian cancer to participate in decisions about treatment and care, according to their preferences.
- Discuss the role of surgery in the management of ovarian cancer.
- Implement evidence based pre- and post-operative care for women undergoing debulking surgery for ovarian cancer.