The aim of this module is to develop the ability of the Beginning Specialist Cancer Nurse to demonstrate competence in the core skills required to provide nursing care for people with cancer.
On completion of this module, you should be able to:
- Demonstrate principles of effective supportive communication to establish and maintain therapeutic relationships with people affected by cancer.
- Perform a comprehensive assessment to identify the impact of common disease and treatment effects on all domains of health experienced by people affected by cancer.
- Recognise and manage the common oncological emergencies that may be experienced by people affected by cancer.
- Describe potential hazards which impact on safe and effective care delivery in cancer care.
- Identify evidence based strategies for ensuring personal and professional safety when caring for people affected by cancer.
- Explain the theoretical concepts related to the common Central Venous Access Devices (CVADs) used in cancer care.
- Demonstrate competent and safe practice in the following core skills (as relevant to practice area):
- Radiation safety
- Safe handling of cytotoxics
- Management of CVADs.
Approximate hours of learning: 80 hours