A National Professional Development Framework for Cancer Nursing (the Framework) was developed through a literature review and after extensive consultation with nurses, people affected by cancer and other stakeholders. It was a key outcome of the EdCaN project.
To reduce the burden of caner in Australia by providing a framework to guide the development of a sustainable nursing workforce capable of providing high-quality services that meet the needs of all people affected by cancer.
To support nurses’ professional development in cancer control
The objectives of the Framework are to:
- define nursing’s contribution to cancer control
- highlight the need for all nurses to participate in cancer control
- guide nurses’ ongoing professional development in cancer control
- articulate the capabilities expected of nurses working in cancer control
- promote the development of learning resources to support the professional development of nurses working in cancer control
- provide a national standard for professional development programs aimed at strengthening nurses’ abilities to care for people affected by cancer
- ensure the professional development of nurses working in cancer control is consistent with nationally agreed standards for the profession of nursing and for cancer control.